Steel roofs are one of the best upgrades you can do for your home, and also the best investment. Steel roofs are perhaps the most durable roofs and can last at least over 30 years and are very resistant to inclement weather and outdoor conditions.
Benefits of steel roofing
· Straight or curved shapes, flat or undulating, traditional or modern – the freedom of forms and aspects of the coated steel allows integrating in each environment and has revolutionized all architectural styles.
· But beyond its aesthetic qualities, are distinguished by their technical as tightness, mechanical strength, durability, fire resistance, condensation and acoustic and thermal comfort offering solutions to any specific need.
· Thanks to its versatility, the steel enables designers to answer the most common topologies and varied cover: profiled panels, sandwich panels, covered with raised or tray and tiles.
· The modular design of steel decks offers a real advantage in terms of installation in both new construction and renovations.
· Durable, easy to maintain and recyclable, steel deck responds to concerns for sustainable development is an investment in long-term quality.
· The steel deck is accompanied by a wide range of finishing accessories such as downpipes, gutters, edge finishing and flashings.
Types of steel roofing
Steel roofs are divided into the following categories:
Roofing sheets: These sheets are increasingly being used within the construction industry. These sheets may come in the form of corrugated steel sheets, coated stainless steel, and galvanized steel and in various different combinations. They are also available in different shapes, sizes as well as gauges.
Corrugated steel roofs: Corrugated roofing is the most common method of roofing these days and is also being used for sheds, factories, warehouses in addition to typical houses. They are not only light weighted but, are also quite inexpensive. One problem with this type of roofing is that if not properly installed, it can result in leakage and other building defects which can cause great problems.
Stone coated steel roofing: This form offers an upscale style and is difficult to copy by any other form of shingle. They have the ability to match the attire of any place. It is also being widely used in the Mediterranean style homes and paints a quite sharp but, unique color which is quite rare to see.
Steel shingles: These apparently seems to look like asphalt shingles, tiles or wood shakes however, steel shingles holds a better warranty against the harsh weather situations. Many homemakers consider this form to be the strongest material used for roofing purposes. Another belief associated is that these shingles are light in weight and are not easily reluctant to fire in addition to becoming a feast for your eyes.
Installing of metal roofing
Place the steel panel or shingle over the old roof. Check with the manufacturer whether the metal roofing is offering this feature as in many cases it is. After this attach the starter flashing so as to prevent any sort of leakages within the roof. Adhere to the strips for securing the flashing on to the roof by nailing it down onto the fascia trim board as well as on different parts of the roof. It is better to install roofs that have concealed gutter channels as it will not only provide a better drainage system along with a neater presentation.
Maintenance of steel roofing
What you should do to prevent roof leaks is to cover the roof every two years. The coating must be perfect for your climate. In warmer climates you can use a white, reflective, and a gray layer of colder climates, to absorb heat. Apply the layer when dry and when the outside temperature is below 10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit).
Repairing a roof seam split
In high winds, the seams between sheets of steel can break, or may wear over time. Examine the roof every few months for cracks and holes within the roof of the seam. Loose roof coating can be removed with a spatula. Use a headliner to cover high-quality sewing. Split seam must be patched with glass fabric of the membrane. Overlap seam at least 2 inches.
Steel roofs require taking some safety precautions. These roofs are generally more slippery than other types of roofs if they are covered with moss, ice or water. It is therefore, it is very important that safety precautions are to be undertaken during cleaning processes.
Also be careful where you put your steps. You can use a piece of 2 x 4 wooden feet to distribute the weight.